Periodically, the SHSOV offers support grants to allow applicants to undertake a professional educational activity in the field of sexual health medicine or an allied discipline. These grants are intended to provide ‘top-up’ or support funding for those who may otherwise be unable to undertake the activities for which funding is sought. They are open to anyone living and/or working in Victoria with a professional or other interest in a sexual health or a related field.
While the maximum grant available per person is $1500, amounts awarded are frequently lower than this, and may not meet the full amount requested in the application.
Key criteria used in assessing applications include:
- The extent to which the proposed activity aligns with the society’s commitment to multidisciplinary practice and knowledge exchange
- Demonstrated need (Lack of alternative funding or as a ‘top up’ when large amounts of funding are required)
- A focus on local (Victorian) needs/benefits
- Capacity of the proposed activity to contribute to the growth/awareness of the SHSOV
While not a requirement for submitting an application, membership of the SHSOV may be viewed favourably where two candidates submit applications of similar quality.
Examples of how the grant may be used:
- assistance with costs (registration fees, accommodation, and travel) to attend a conference or course
- assistance with costs (accommodation and travel) to undertake a clinical attachment
- assistance with costs to establish or complete a research project
How to apply
A decision regarding availability of support grants for 2021 has not yet been made. Please check this website, or follow us on twitter at @SHSOV for updates.
If you have further queries, please don’t hesitate to contact us.